The summer is officially over, but we can still enjoy the last of the summer produce. This delightful combination of tomatoes and avocados is a great way to celebrate the arrival of the fall season with a fresh and tasty salad recipe.
I love avocados and can literally eat them on every meal. Avocados are considered a fruit, but while most fruits consist mostly of carbohydrates, avocados are very low on carbs and high on healthy fats. That makes them ideal for people following a Paleo diet.
For this recipe, you could use hot house or cocktail tomatoes. Just make sure they are not overly ripe.
There are many different recipes for guacamole. In this recipe, I used a simple version with just a bit of cayenne pepper for a slight kick. You could certainly use any guacamole recipe that best suits your taste.
Enjoy this recipe loaded with heart healthy nutrients and incredible taste.
Happy fall season!
- 4 small hot house or cocktail tomatoes
- 1 riped avocado, mashed
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- salt to taste
- ¼ tsp. of cayenne pepper
- ¼ cup cheese, grated
- 1 egg yolk, crumbled (optional)
- ¼ tsp. paprika
- Wash the tomatoes and cut a ¼" slice from the top of each tomato; carefully scoop out the pulp using a melon baller or a teaspoon.
- Place the tomato in a serving plate and set aside.
- In a working bowl, put together the mashed avocado, olive oil, salt, cayenne pepper and cheese; mix well.
- Spoon the mix avocado filling into each tomato evenly.
- Sprinkle with crumbled egg yolk and paprika.
- Put in the refrigerator for at least an hour before serving; best serve chilled.