This Spanish dish is everyone’s favorite in our family. It’s very tasty and the chicken is tender and juicy. The salty taste of the olives nicely complements the sweeter taste of the dried apricots. Rice dishes are normally easy to prepare, nutritious and very satisfying.
I always try to use healthy ingredients on my dishes and this one is no exception. Olives are packed with generous amounts of monounsaturated fat, the kind of fat that’s good for your heart, according to many studies on Mediterranean diets. The olives in this dish are also rich in iron, copper and vitamin E.
Paprika is made by grinding capsicum dried peppers into a powder. The smoked paprika adds a vibrant red colour and mild pungent flavour to this recipe. Paprika is also rich in vitamins A, B6 and E.
You could replace the white meat in this recipe with dark meat to add more flavour. I tend to use my large cast iron skillet for this dish because I can finish simmering on the stove or stick it in the oven without the hassle of switching the ingredients to another pan.
If you are running short of time, you could make the rice ahead using a rice cooker, or use leftover rice from another meal. You could also replace the white rice in this recipe with brown rice. Just make sure you add extra liquid and cook the rice for a bit longer.
Once finished, transfer to a serving dish and garnish with raw olives and fresh cilantro. If you prefer, you could also sprinkle a bit of smoked paprika. This dish is best serve with a side of green salad.
If you decide to try this recipe, please leave a comment to let me know how it turned out.
- 3 lbs breast chicken or bone-in chicken thighs
- 3 tsp smoked paprika
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 1 cup cooking sherry or dry white wine
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup slice pimiento-stuffed green olives
- ½ sliced dried apricots or raisins
- 2 tsp dried sage
- 2 cups uncooked jasmine rice or long-grain white rice
- For the garnish:
- Raw olives
- Fresh cilantro
- Smoked paprika
- Slice the chicken into strips and sprinkle with paprika.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the chicken until golden.
- Add the remaining ingredients except for the rice; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add rice to the liquid and gently distribute evenly around the skillet.
- Cover and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender.