Roasting roots and vegetables is one of my favourite methods of cooking them. Beets in particular are perfect for roasting. The roasting process allows them to retain their bright colors and enhances their naturally sweet flavour. Another reason for roasting, is that it preserves more of the vitamins in the beets when compared to boiling and steaming. I find that roasting is ideal while multi-tasking in the kitchen. While I’m roasting vegetables on the oven, I can work on other dishes. You just need to check the oven every few minutes to make sure the vegetables don’t stick and burn. Best of all, roasting doesn’t make a mess.
I prefer golden beets to red beets because they are way easier to prepare and they don’t stain your hands
Also, golden or yellow beets tend to be a bit sweeter than the red beets. The beautiful golden color brightens your dishes. They are high in antioxidants and they help lower your blood pressure and cholesterol. They are also great for your eyes and skin. Beets are high in vitamins and minerals, they contain fiber, potassium, folic acid, and more.
For most of us, roasting meats is common, but if you haven’t tried roasting vegetables, or you have someone on your family that doesn’t like vegetables, give this dish a try. You won’t be dissapointed.
- 2 lbs. of golden beets, trimmed, washed and sliced into circles
- 2 tbsps. of olive oil
- 4 tbs. of Italian blend seasoning or your favourite spice blend
- 1 tsp. of garlic powder
- ½ tsp. of salt
- Heat oven to 400F.
- In a small bowl, combine the last 3 ingredients.
- Arrange the beets in a baking dish.
- Sprinkle the mixture spice blend over the beets, then slowly drizzle the olive oil.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until beets are cooked through.
- Removed from the oven and serve with your main course.