There are many ways to cook beets and today I want to share one of my favourite ones. It’s an oven roasted recipe that is really easy and quick to prepare. Roasting enhances the natural colour, flavour and texture of foods, while preserving the nutrients. This is a great recipe if you are looking for an easy and satisfying side dish.
We are very lucky and grateful to be surrounded by a number of family operated organic farms and farmer markets. I bought these fresh, colourful and organic baby beets from Simpler Thyme Organic Farm. We’ve been supporting this amazing farm since we moved into the area in 2005.
Baby beets are more tender than regular beets, so they cook faster.
Beets are high in vitamin C, essential minerals like potassium and manganese, and they also contain B vitamin folate.
Za’atar is a Middle Eastern spice blend. It’s a mixture of sumac, sesame seed and herbs. It serves as a seasoning to sprinkle on vegetables, salads, meat dishes and more. For this recipe I used a Za’atar Jordanian blend from ARZ Fine Foods, but feel free to replace it with the spice blend of your choice.
- 2 lbs. of baby beets, trimmed, washed and sliced them to halves
- 2 tbsps. of olive oil
- 4 tbs. of Za'atar spice blend or your favourite spice blend
- 1 tsp. of garlic powder
- ½ tsp. of salt
- Heat oven to 400F.
- In a small bowl, combine the last 3 ingredients.
- Arrange the beets in a baking dish.
- Sprinkle the mixture spice blend over the beets, then slowly drizzle the olive oil.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until beets are cooked through.
- Removed from the oven and serve with your main course.