Fresh Spring Rolls comes in a large variety of filling, typically in assorted veggies cut into thin strips and also meat. One of my favorites is with ground chicken. Yum!
What is great about spring rolls are, they make a wonderful light dinner, appetizers or even as a main dish at any season.
They are healthy, delicious and great alternative to fried spring rolls. Best of all, they are so easy and fun to make.
Add all these tasty ingredients: lettuce, ground chicken, blanched grated carrots, fresh mint and cilantro as shown in the picture.
The ingredients can be prepared in advance and reserved so they are ready to be placed in a rice paper wrapper. Make sure to cover the dish with a cling plastic wrap after the fresh rolls are wrapped. Don’t refrigerate otherwise the wrappers become difficult to chew. The unrefrigerated fresh rolls can wait for an hour before cutting and serving them.
- 8 to 12 round rice paper wrappers
- 1 lb. ground chicken, can be replaced by pork, beef or shrimp
- 2 cups of carrots, blanched and grated
- 12 romaine lettuce leaves
- 1 cup of mint, washed and trimmed
- 1 cup of cilantro, washed and trimmed
- 1 tbsp. of sesame oil
- ½ tsp. of salt and ground pepper to taste
- 1 cup of beansprouts, optional
- ¼ cup Fish Sauce
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup white vinegar
- ½ cup sugar
- pepper flakes, optional
- Cook the ground chicken in boiling water for 5 minutes.
- Strain the water, add sesame oil, ½ tsp. salt and fresh ground pepper. Set aside.
- Blanch the carrots, grated. Set aside.
- Read the wrapping instructions on how to use it.
- Start layering the ingredients, starting with wrapper and romaine lettuce. Add the rest of the ingredients.
- Cut them into 4 to 5 pieces when ready to serve with your favorite dipping sauce or make your own sauce using the recipe I have created.
- Serve fresh and enjoy!