Financier is a French almond cake. It is moist, rich in sweetness, nutty, buttery and crispy like an eggshell on the outside. Financiers are usually baked in a small round, fluted and rectangular molds. They normally consist of egg whites, almond flour and confectioners’ icing sugar. These exquisite pastries have been very popular in fine pastry shops in France for over a 100 years.
Ontario grows great peaches
Peaches are low in calories, fat and sodium. They contain vital nutrients that help maintain a healthy lifestyles. A medium size peach contains just 40 calories and a great source of Vitamin C.
Always look for peaches with firm and smooth skin, sweet smell and a clear colour. Avoid buying peaches with wrinkled skin, bruised or blemished. You can keep peaches at room temperature and out of the sun. You should refrigerated the ripe peaches, no longer than five days. Try to consume the overripe peaches before they turn bad. Before using them, make sure to always rinse them under running water.
A co-worker of mine was a pastry baker before joining our company. On occasion, he would bring and share with us his amazing financiers. Since I can’t be sure when he is sharing his next batch of financiers, I decided to try and make my own. ?
- 1 ½ cup of almond flour
- 1 ½ cup of (gf) oat flour or millet flour
- 1 cup of confectioners icing sugar or powdered sugar
- ½ tsp. of salt
- 8 large egg whites
- 1 tsp. of vanilla extract
- 1 cup of unsalted butter or 2 sticks of butter, melted and cooled
- 2 fresh peaches, washed, dried and sliced
- Extra confectioners’ icing sugar for serving
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the almond flour, oat flour, confectioners icing sugar and salt.
- Beat the egg whites into the dry ingredients until thoroughly blended.
- Add the melted butter and vanilla extract. Mix well, so that the butter is completely incorporated into the batter.
- Fill about 12 muffin cups with the batter. Decorate with sliced peaches.
- Place the filled muffin cups on a baking sheet. Place in the middle of the preheated oven. Bake for 25 minutes or until done.
- Remove the financiers from the oven. Unmold them as soon as they are settled. Let them cool on the wire racks.
- Just before serving, top with a light dusting of icing sugar.