Who’s ready for a Friday night treat? This is a surprisingly easy “ice cream” recipe that’s completely gluten free and great for Paleo lovers. The best part: you won’t feel guilty after you’ve finished enjoying it. The ingredients are all natural and packed with nutrients and antioxidants.
I prefer to use berries because they are rich in antioxidants and nutrients that may help prevent cardiovascular disease, arthritis, diabetes, high blood pressure and certain types of cancer. You could use cooked, frozen or fresh berries. In another post I will try to explain why cooking the berries is better than consuming them in raw form.
Here’s the key component of the recipe: the coconut whipped cream. In the Philippines, we regard the coconut as the “tree of life”. Coconuts are high in healthy saturated fats and have a low glycemic index. The coconut cream is not only a healthy replacement for regular milk or cream, but it tastes great when combined with the berries and the dark chocolate.
I like to add a bit of maple syrup, just because we are Canadians, eh!
- 2 15-ounce cans of coconut milk
- 1 lb of cooked, frozen or fresh berries (strawberries, black berries, raspberries, blueberries)
- Shaved dark chocolate or replace with your favourite kind
- Fresh berries for decoration
- Maple syrup (optional)
- Refrigerate the coconut milk for a few hours or overnight.
- After opening the cans, carefully remove the top layer of coconut cream. Avoid taking in any of the liquid in the bottom.
- Whip the coconut cream using an electric mixer for about 5 minutes or until it has the texture of whipped cream.
- On each serving cup add a bit of coconut whipped cream and handful of berries. Optionally, add a tablespoon of maple syrup.
- Add another layer of coconut whipped cream to the top of each serving cup.
- Finish it up with chocolate and fresh berries for decoration.
- Chill for a few hours before serving.