Happy Easter everyone! This is a fluffy, soft and melts-in-your-mouth recipe for bakery style muffins. These muffins are equally delicious for breakfast, snacks or as a dessert. In our family, we try to eat pretty clean, but to be consistent we need to find the right balance of healthy food choices and occasionally indulge in our favourite foods. But, even when we do so we try to choose a healthy indulgence.
The main ingredients of this recipe are bananas, 100% dark cocoa powder, organic whole wheat flour and local organic honey. Bananas are a good source of potassium and fiber. Dark chocolate is rich in good fats and antioxidants and some studies have shown that its consumption is related to lower blood pressure readings. Honey contains a unique blend of vitamins, minerals, enzymes, antioxidants and phytonutrients . However, because honey can cause a dangerous disease known as botulism in infants, children under the age of one should never consume honey, raw or pasteurized.
The muffins can be stored in an airtight container for up to 2 days or wrapped individually in plastic wrap and freeze for up to 2 weeks.
Enjoy this delicious muffins and I promise you will want to eat the whole thing, not just the tops.
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ cup brown sugar or adjust according to your preference
- 2 eggs
- 3 mashed ripe bananas
- 1 tsp. of vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. of honey
- 1½ cup of organic whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp. of baking soda
- ½ tsp. of salt
- ¼ cup dark chocolate cocoa powder
- ½ cup white or dark chocolate chips (dark is better)
- Move oven rack to the middle position. Heat oven to 375F.
- Mix brown sugar and olive oil in a large mixing bowl. Stir in the eggs until the mix is well blended.
- Add the mashed bananas, vanilla and honey, beat until smooth.
- Stir in flour, baking soda and salt just until the mix looks moistened.
- Add the dark chocolate cocoa powder.
- Spoon the mix into greased or paper-lined muffin cups, filling to top.
- Baked for 20 minutes or until golden and tops are firm to the touch.
- Let cool in pan on rack for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to rack; let cool completely.