Why do I love this chicken dish? The answer is quite simple because it’s tasty, spicy and I love the strong nutty smell from the sesame oil and it takes only 15 minutes to prepare this dish. It means, I can multitask and make another dish while waiting for the chicken to be baked. It’s true that there are many acceptable ways to cook chicken but baking is my favorite one! 😉
You can marinate the chicken ahead of time, put in the fridge overnight and take it out half an hour before baking. If you are short on time, you could also marinate the chicken before baking.
Chicken is one of the best sources of lean protein and it’s probably more affordable and easier to prepare than other types of meat.
I love using garlic to add a bit more flavour to the marinating sauce. Garlic is also rich in nutrients and has a number of health benefits.
- 4 lbs. of skinless chicken legs, separate them into drumsticks and thighs
- 2 tbsp. roasted sesame seeds
- 2 fresh garlic cloves, minced or 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar or honey
- 4 tbsp. or ¼ cup of dark soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. sesame oil
- ½ tsp. crushed chili flakes, adjust according to your taste
- Combine all the ingredients for the marinating sauce.
- Pour the marinade over the chicken pieces; make sure they are well coated.
- Marinate for at least 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 380F. Transfer the chicken to a baking dish.
- Bake the chicken, uncovered, for 45 minutes or until the chicken is done or no longer pink inside.
- Turn the chicken pieces only once when cooking is halfway through.
- Brush chicken pieces thoroughly with the remaining liquid.
- When the baking is done, sprinkle with roasted sesame seeds. Broil the chicken to brown, about 3 minutes on each side.
- You can serve this dish as an appetizer or with a bowl of warm rice or any side dish you desire.