Baking chicken breasts can be a real challenge for some people. If not done correctly, you can end up with a rubbery and dry piece of chicken, but when done right, the results are a tender, juicy and flavourful dish.
There are many ways of cooking chicken but baking is my favorite. It’s an excellent and healthy way of preparing skinless, boneless chicken breasts. After many years of experimenting, I think I have finally perfected how to bake chicken breasts in the oven
I love using garlic to add a bit more flavour to the marinating sauce. Garlic is also rich in nutrients and has a number of health benefits.
Marinate the chicken, put in the fridge overnight and take it out half an hour before baking. If you are short on time, you could also marinate the chicken an hour before baking, keeping it at room temperature.
Chicken is one of the best sources of lean protein and it’s probably more affordable and easier to prepare than other types of meat.
I like using bell peppers because they add texture and a tangy taste to this dish, but feel free to replace them with your favourite vegetable. Carrots or asparagus also work great. The same goes for the pecans. Pecans are buttery, rich flavored and one of the most popular edible tree-nuts, but you could use almonds or walnuts instead.
- 4 skinless and boneless chicken breasts, chopped or diced
- 2 medium bell peppers, julienne or diced
- 2 tbsp. of unsalted pecans or your favourite nuts
- Chopped parsley or cilantro to garnish
- 4 garlic cloves, minced or finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. of sweet and spicy grain mustard
- 4 tbsp. of raw honey
- 1 tsp. of dried oregano
- 2 tbsp. of olive oil
- 2 tsp. of sea salt and a pinch of ground black pepper
- Combine the marinating sauce in a big bowl. Add the chicken and let it marinate for an hour at room temperature or overnight in the fridge.
- Line a baking sheet with foil, and transfer the chicken. Save the marinating sauce for later use.
- Broil for about 8 minutes or until brown and chicken is thoroughly cooked, turning once to evenly cook both sides.
- Remove from the oven and transfer to a baking dish.
- Add the bell peppers and pour over the reserved mixture sauce, toss to coat.
- Bake uncovered at 300F for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle with pecans and parsley.
- Serve while warm.