This hot appetizer or savory small dish is one of my favorites to make when we have company over. I can make it ahead of time and just stick in the oven for about half an hour before the fun begins.
Who does not like the salty taste of bacon combined with the sweet taste of dates? They are awesome! Everybody loves this crispy bacon wrap the moment they come through the door.
Bacon is a cured meat from the back or sides of a pig, having distinct strips of fat and typically served in thin slices. These days there are so many different ways on how to make bacon than there is no need to serve it just fried in a pool of grease.
Medjool date are typically grown in the Middle East and North Africa, but can be cultivated in a number of desert-like regions around the world. The medjool variety offers a sweeter and softer alternative to the traditional dates from California. You can enjoyed them on their own as a snack or use them for cooking and baking. Dates are considered high in calories, but interestingly enough despite their sugar content (around 80% of their weight), it seems that anyone can safely eat up to three dates a day without concerns about raising blood sugar levels. That’s because dates have a low glycemic index. Some studies have found that dates might help reduce blood triglycerides and improve blood cholesterol.
Almonds are rich in vitamin E, calcium, magnesium and potassium and a significant source of protein and fiber, while being naturally low in sugar.
The fresh herbs in this recipe are flavorful, add beautiful color to the dish and most importantly, they’re packed with valuable nutrients and antioxidants.
This dish is not only a crowd-pleasing treat, but it’s also extremely simple and quick to make, which makes it perfect for entertaining guests or surprising your family with this sweet and savory flavor combo!
- ½ cup almond, slivered
- 2 tbsp. almond flour or coconut flour
- 2 tbsp. onion chives, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 clove garlic or ½ tsp.garlic powder
- 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- ¼ tsp. fresh ground pepper
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- 12 pcs. bacon, cut them into halves
- 24 Medjool dates, pitted and slit
- Using a blender or food processor, add all the ingredients except for the bacon and dates. Pulse until they are well mixed.
- Fill each date with the almond mixture and wrap them one by one with bacon.
- Arrange dates on a baking dish or on a wire rack and put on top of the baking sheet.
- Preheat oven to 350F and bake them for 30 minutes or until the bacon is cooked.
- It's best serve while warm.