Happy Spring 2018 everyone! On this week, I am sharing with you an another healthy gluten free muffin recipe. I made these super-moist chocolate muffins for the Easter weekend. This recipe is one of my favourites since I started baking. They are great for breakfast, snacks or as a dessert.
Dark chocolate is rich in good fats and antioxidants and some studies have shown that its consumption leads to lower blood pressure readings.
The chocolate I use for baking is from my favourite store @ Beanermunky Chocolates
Almond is not only full of flavour, texture and color, but also good fats and protein.
Carrots come in different colors but the most popular and easy to find is the orange type. The process of baking or cooking the carrots enhances their flavour and nutritional properties when compared to raw carrots.
We try to eat pretty clean, but at the same time we need to find the right balance of healthy food choices and occasionally indulge in our favourite foods. I almost always make sure to choose a “healthy” indulgence.
- 3 eggs
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ¾ cup of vegetable oil
- 8 oz. of dark chocolate, melted
- 3 cups of grated carrots
- 1 cup of almond flour
- 1 cup of tapioca flour
- ½ cup of brut or unsweeted cocoa powder
- 2 tsp. of ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. of baking soda
- ½ tsp. of nutmeg
- ¼ tsp. of all-spice
- ½ cup of toasted pecans or walnuts, optional
- 1 cup of dark chocolate chips
- Move oven rack to the middle position. Heat oven to 375F.
- Combine dry ingredients in a bowl: almond flour, tapioca flour, brut, ground cinnamon, baking powder, nutmeg, and all-spice, stir in toasted pecans.
- In a mixing bowl, beat eggs, slowly blend in brown sugar. Add oil and beat in the melted dark chocolate.
- Stir in the grated carrots. Add flour mixture all at once, mix until evenly combined. Fold in the dark chocolate chips.
- Spoon the mix into the greased or paper-lined muffin cups, filling them to the top.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden and the tops are firm to the touch.
- Let it cool for 5 minutes before serving.
TIP 2: You can speed up the process by using a food processor or a stand mixer. Just put all the ingredients together except the chocolate chips. Add chocolate chips to the mix batter once it's well blended.
TIP 3: The muffins can be stored in an airtight container for up to 2 days or wrapped individually in plastic wrap and freeze for up to 2 weeks.